You may be right
I may be crazy
But it just may be a lunatic you’re looking for
~ Billy Joel
I went through quite a stressful time at work a little while ago… And my solution to stressful situations is laughter (come to think of it, that is my solution to most situations…). Anyway, I was having my morning coffee with colleague #1 when colleague #2 walked in and apologised for interrupting our conversation (erm…laughter). He then looked at me and told me that he thought I kept colleague #1 sane…(a nice compliment I thought). But when I asked “And who’s keeping me sane?”, he proceeded to tell me there is no way that I could be sane… (I think that is quite rich coming from someone who names his pet chickens, but maybe it takes one to know one :-)).
So, I went home that evening and in a you-have-to-feel-sorry-for-me voice relayed the story to my 14-year old daughter. She responded by saying “Mom, but you are crazy. We are all crazy around here.” Sounds earily like a scene from Alice in Wonderland…
Now, one person could be a fluke, but two people sounds like a confirmation. So, I am crazy. And apparently I gave birth to two crazylings. Ralph Waldo Emerson said that “Knowledge is the antidote for fear”, so I did what I always do when I don’t know the answer…I googled it. Whatever did I do without Google?
And, guess what? It’s actually not that bad. Apart from the ‘affected with madness, insane’ bit of the definition, the rest (sort of) sounds palatable. Here it comes…
Informal Departing from proportion or moderation, especially:
- Possessed by enthusiasm or excitement
- Immoderately fond; infatuated
- Intensely involved or preoccupied
- Foolish or impractical; senseless
Now, if that’s not me, then I don’t know.
- Possessed sounds a little bit spooky, but to be possessed by enthusiasm or excitement cannot be a bad thing, now can it? For example, I am super enthusiastic about going to Greensleeves this Saturday evening! Greensleeves is a medieval venue, and like a friend said to her husband “Gerda wants to you dress up as a wench and serve her beer. Wanna go?” I may just break out in song….”I’m so excited, and I just can’t hide it“
- Why do you have to moderate fondness or infatuation? Okay, I guess maybe I should do that a bit more, it may save me some hurt, but then what is the point? I don’t ever want my loved ones to wonder if I love them!
- I don’t do partial involvement, sometimes to my own detriment. A few years ago I got involved in the Homeowners Association for the complex where I lived. Now, I am renting out the house and I am still the Chairperson?? Something wrong here…do I hear the word sucker…?
- I have been known to do some foolish and impractical things from time to time. Which is why I often have to hush people I have known for a long time, when they are introduced to new people (can we let the London Ice Bar story die now, please….). Somehow my embarrassment can provide hours of entertainment to other people!
I don’t think anything can contain my zest for life. I don’t think I will ever see myself as old. I still find it very surprising when young people call me ‘Tannie’. I keep thinking they are talking to someone behind me. I don’t feel old. I don’t know when you are supposed to start feeling old. I always thought that one day I would feel my age, that one day I will wake up and look at all those wrinkles and decide that I have to start acting my age. But it must be a long way off still.
So, I have decided to embrace my craziness. And after my daughter jokingly referred to our house as the ‘Looney Bin‘, I decided it may be an apt name for our new house! We now live in an Estate (yeah, it sounds all very fancy, but essentially it is just a big closed off neighbourhood) and there are geniunely houses that have names, and I find that almost as amusing as personalised number plates. Imagine driving a car with the number plate 2SXY4U? You would never be able to go to the corner cafe in a tracksuit! Ever!!
So, the Looney Bin it is…maybe that will make the neighbours in ‘Oaktree Cottage’ or ‘Villa Toscana’ sit up straight🙂