I was on the radio a couple of weeks ago. But before you get excited about the fact that you are reading a blog post from a celebrity, it wasn’t anything like that!
Stacey Norman has a weeknight show on 94.7 Highveld Stereo that is pretty awesome and she had a list of things that you should always say ‘YES’ to, like spending a day in you pajamas, or spending a day watching your favourite series. And she wanted to know what the listeners recently said ‘YES’ to. I sent in a text message and they phoned me! The text read:
‘I am a single mom of 41 and said yes to doing Salsa classes with a girlfriend. On my way now!’
(What happened was that I received a Wicount invite in my mailbox, and managed to coax a girlfriend into joining me. So theoretically she was the one who said ‘YES’!)
It was a bit nerve wracking being on the radio…and I almost bungled it up as I needed to move my car (which I parked in a hurry when I heard they were phoning me from the show) and the Bluetooth kicked in just as they transferred me live on air (trust me to mess up a ‘hold on for Stacey’). But they phoned me back again, after which I had to make a beeline for the class.
But it got me thinking that 2012 has been a year of firsts for me. I feel slightly braver as the year is drawing to a close. I have done so many things this year that I always wanted to do… There is still a lot more, but it has been a good start. The last few years has been emotionally draining and I needed a revival, so 2012 has been like an elixir for me :-).
Some of the things I did this year was:
- I finally kicked out my lying, cheating boyfriend. I made a New Year’s resolution that I was never going to allow him back into my life again, and I stuck to it. Taylor Swift even wrote a song about it!
- In February I bought a new house. I have been twiddling my thumbs forever about buying a new house, but finally took the plunge, and it has been fantastic! (One day I may even be able to afford it!) But we love our new house with the big airy rooms and my kitchen is a dream come true, gas stove and all!
- I started a new job…after seven years it was time for a change and even though I am still working for the same group of companies, I am in a much more operational roll and enjoying the challenge!
- I went on a sushi making workshop! Ever since I tried eating sushi a few years ago, I have been a huge fan. I just absolutely love sushi, and thought it would be stunning to be able to make my own! (I haven’t actually invited anyone for a sushi dinner party…yet, but we will get there.)
- I started writing this blog! I have been writing little odds and ends for years, but never had the courage to post something for the whole world to see. I didn’t even know what I was gonna write about, or whether anyone would read it. But I am so happy I took the step, I am loving it! And strangely enough, people are actually reading it!
- I joined a dating site and then decided it wasn’t for me. I know this may not seem like a brave thing to do, but believe me, I was literally shaking in my size 3 boots about taking that step.
- I did a pasta cooking course with a friend. And here I have actually tried it out on a friend and her daughter, and once on my girls. I am still trying to get the dough consistency right, but it is so much fun. I have another pasta evening planned with some friends on the weekend. I will take lots of pictures and if the guests survive, I will blog it!
- I used some of those accumulated frequent flyer miles and booked a trip to Scotland in December! I have always wanted to go, but when the opportunity came along, I was all of the sudden hesitant about going by myself. Then I decided I am not going to delay the fulfilment of my dreams, whilst waiting for the perfect travelling companion. And who knows, I may even pick up a sexy Scotsman on my travels…:-)
- And of course I started the Salsa classes. I love dancing and I have been wanting to do some formal training forever. And so far it has been a lot of fun and I haven’t caused any injuries to anyone that couldn’t be healed by putting their feet up!
- Oh, and I almost forgot that I finally stumbled into a TAG shop and bought the watch I have been drooling over for years, to the greatest astonishment of my cousin. I don’t think she will ever fall for the “Let’s just quickly walk into this shop” again.
And even though the year is not over yet, I can honestly say it has been my best year in yonkers! I am loving my life at the moment, and just enjoy spending time soaking up the joys!
So, here’s to saying ‘YES’ to life. I am throwing open the doors of opportunity, and for once having fun for the sake of having fun!
You’ve gotta dance like there’s nobody watching,
Love like you’ll never be hurt,
Sing like there’s nobody listening,
And live like it’s heaven on earth.
~ William W. Purkey